“There were no POC in Europe during the medieval ages!!/they probably never interacted with the whites!!”:
The last one is actually during 16th century I believe,but you get the idea. Most of these are Moors who traveled to many of countries in Europe including, GASP Scotland.
Considering that Africans Muslims conquered most of the Iberian peninsula in the early 8th Century CE, and ruled there for nearly 800 years, until the Reconquista finally overcame the last Muslim state in 1492, I’d say it’s more than just fairly likely that people of color were frequent visitors to Europe.
Also, Marco Polo’s journey’s to Asia took place in the 13th Century CE. Given what we know of cultural dissemination (look at the history of India, for one thing), there is no reason to suspect that there were no travellers in the other direction, as well.
Trade, of course, has been taking place between Europe and other lands for a very, very long time. It is well-known, for example, that gunpowder and firearms were invented in China, and gradually made their way west to Europe. The Arabs acquired the knowledge of gunpowder in the mid 13th Century CE, and around the same time, European forces found themselves facing cannon and guns for the first time.
We know that Arabs were quite proficient with sailing, and by the medieval period had established themselves throughout most of the known world in the Eastern hemisphere.
Clearly, the idea that the people of Europe rarely, if ever, encountered or interacted with people of color from Africa, Asia, the Indian subcontinent, and/or Arabia, perhaps even the archipelagoes of Southeast Asia/Oceania is ludicrous.
Yet, whenever a story is told that includes people of color where white people have been led to believe there were none, we hear creys of historical inauthenticity or anachronism.
Casually leaving this here.
- imfantasyparade likes this
- ozfiztheweird reblogged this from kawaiimon
- thisonehasnoloyalties122 likes this
- hoardingbeautifuljunk likes this
- morawintersoul likes this
- milokey-dreams reblogged this from kawaiimon
- infinitemortal likes this
- iladvi reblogged this from kawaiimon
- iladvi likes this
- charmed7293 reblogged this from thelovelysin
- beachgirlnikita likes this
- thelovelysin reblogged this from actingareaction
- melpopenn likes this
- melohde likes this
- merpita reblogged this from jenniferswag
- merpita likes this
- thisiszen reblogged this from fyuzhn
- seebster likes this
- thisisthebirth reblogged this from jenniferswag
- dessartem likes this
- zoombeanie likes this
- aradicalnarcissist reblogged this from jenniferswag
- actingareaction reblogged this from jenniferswag
- fyuzhn reblogged this from kawaiimon
- fyuzhn likes this
- jenniferswag reblogged this from trulysophisticat
- trulysophisticat reblogged this from kawaiimon
- kawaiimon reblogged this from knittinandbitchin and added:
- brittany-nicole likes this
- knittinandbitchin reblogged this from girlwithatardis
- awordin likes this
- knittinandbitchin likes this
- heroicallyfound likes this
- notdefectivejusthuman reblogged this from girlwithatardis
- girlwithatardis reblogged this from justjasper
- silveralida likes this
- taralys reblogged this from girljanitor
- taralys likes this
- joyisa reblogged this from parentingtheriot
- fuckyeahnewhollywood likes this
- parentingtheriot reblogged this from disneyforprincesses and added:
- basedmikan likes this
- littlevisibledelight reblogged this from disneyforprincesses
- alexandraerin likes this
- oswinoswaldappreciationlife likes this
- artandwritingtips reblogged this from disneyforprincesses
- lemonpie42 reblogged this from justjasper
- rocketcandycouture likes this
- whimsicalbeast likes this
- justoutofbed likes this